Friday, October 19, 2012

Hot Chocolate

The sun is shining, the sky is a bright, crisp blue, and the early morning is a bit chilly. There's something about this weather that takes me back to my hometown. Acrid smoke and dry leaves, the scratch of the rake, tomato stalks wilting in the garden, chrysanthemums starting to bloom, feeling too hot with a jacket and too cold with only a sweater. Making turkeys out of brown paper bags and centrepieces out of gourds and Indian corn. Late sunrises and golden afternoons. Mmmm, breathe it in.

At my new home, I don't have any leaves to rake, so I pretend as I sweep the balcony. And then I come inside, and all I can think about is a steaming mug of hot chocolate.

Enter Vitamix. The Vitamix recipe calls for sugar and chocolate, and it's very dairy-heavy (cream, milk, and whipped cream? I don't think my tummy can handle that!), so I used only milk and stevia instead, and cocoa powder in place of a chocolate bar!

First, put the milk in, followed by the cocoa powder, stevia and vanilla extract. I  added a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of cayenne, for extra warmth.

Then, turn on the machine, turn up to level 10 and switch to high. I let it run for 4 minutes (as opposed to the suggested 6). Pour into two giant Starbucks mugs and enjoy. No whipped cream - the Vitamix beats a lot of air into liquid, and when you pour hot drinks out, they end up with foamy toppings anyway.

Flavour: really, really good.
Ease: Um, I just turned on the machine and checked it for heat starting after 4 minutes. Dead easy.
Make again: Maybe. While this was the frothiest hot chocolate I've ever had, it was a loud 4 minutes, and I didn't save any dishes (one Vita-mix jug versus one saucepan).

No comments:

Post a Comment