Sunday, October 7, 2012

A day of rest

I did this all last night, even the posting! Everyone needs a break, and even though I love writing and cooking, I did not want to spend the better part of Sunday on the computer or in the kitchen when I could be spending quality time with Tall Guy.

My mother-in-law wanted to know if the Vita-mix could make béchamel. She uses it to make “croquettas”, a scrumptious Spanish appetizer, but she's due to have hand surgery soon and won't be able to do a lot of elaborate cooking for awhile. Sure enough, on page numero uno of the Vita-mix cookbook, there is a recipe for béchamel: milk, flour, butter and five minutes of blending.

In went the milk, flour and butter, and ONE minute later, voila, béchamel! Thank goodness this did not actually take five minutes – again, so far the only downside to the Vita-mix is that it is SO loud.
pre-cheese. mmm... doesn't make a lot, though.
Next, I added some cheese to turn it into a mornay sauce to use in Chicken Divan. Slow-cooker divan has a layer of chicken, a layer of broccoli, and is topped by the mornay. I’ll let you know how we like it.

Flavour: Just like stovetop béchamel – rich and creamy.

Ease: SO EASY! The easiest béchamel I`ve ever made. No whisking, no scalded milk, no gloopy floury bits.

Make-again: Yes! You could almost eat this sauce it on its own...I'd have to double the recipe for anything like lasagna or croquettas.

No comments:

Post a Comment