Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Remedy for Wrongsiditis

You know those days when you get up on the wrong side of bed?

You're out of orange juice (Tropicana with extra juicy bits, please!), you poke yourself in the eye with the mascara wand, you didn't get the job, the zipper on your purse breaks, you discover (while running late, of course) that you are later than imagined because your watch isn't ticking, and there's a hole in your glove? 

To top it all off, your bank card won't work and you've forgotten your cell phone at home (at least it's charging... or is it?).

With all semblance of your cool lost, you have two options: mope and continue in the downward spiral of wrongsiditis until you effectively trip on the escalator or step in dog poop, or try to find some kind of peace.


I kept my foot out of the crap thanks to a fabulous cappuccino, the best I've had in London to date. Thank you, Cafe El Buen Gusto (Frith Street, Leicester Square, for those of you who are in London). I walked by it on my way to another cafe (guidebook recommended) only to find that it was closed for renovations. I only lamented for a split second before walking back to El Buen Gusto. And it was a very buen gusto.

A small, dark cafe with small marble tables and a glass counter filled with fresh pastries and sandwiches, El Buen Gusto was just the oasis I needed this afternoon. I left my problems at the door and ordered a cappuccino from a friendly understanding barrista. "Go sit, SIT!", she commanded. "I bring you your cappuccino, carina". She smiled, and I smiled, and my wrongsiditis began to subside.

To the soothing sounds of jazz, a date (second or third, I'd say), and a milk frother, I got started on some cards I had been meaning to write. Shortly, a frothy cup of goodness arrived at my table, and after the first sip my wrongsiditis was cured.

I finished my cards and my cappuccino within moments of each other and was refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day.

Buen Gusto helped me keep my shoes clean - how about you? What are your cures for a difficult day?

No comments:

Post a Comment