Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Dinner (Mais oui!)

It was a cold, clear sunny day in London town, and while I was walking home from church I got a hankering for an old-fashioned Sunday dinner. But, what to make? Roast beef and mash? Pork chops and apples? Lasagna and salad?

Mais non, non, NON! I wanted some solid French fare. Why, you wonder, for my first home-cooked Sunday dinner in England's capital city was I being so non-traditional?

It all began on Friday, when I started reading Muriel Barbery's The Gourmet (Gourmet Rhapsody in North America). Suddenly, I needed to nibble on some dark chocolate. Then, I just had to make an omelette with some farm-fresh eggs. I hunted down some Brie. I made crisp walnut cookies. I had to put the book down!  

This book is the perfect book with which to curl up on the couch under a blanket on a cold winter's afternoon, but I warn you, you will want French food!

Back to the present, for a last-minute lovely French dinner worthy of Sunday status, follow my lead:

Roughly chop a bunch of vegetables,

simmer them with chicken in some dry red wine and broth,

serve with a side of warm herbed scones,

finish it off with an apple-berry treat,

et voilà, a simple, elegant Sunday dinner that satisfies the craving for French.

No comments:

Post a Comment